Frequently Asked Questions for MAE students

Q. Courses I have taken do not show up on my Degree Audit (from the ONE site). How do I get these courses to show up?

A. This usually occurs because you have taken courses at another institution and they were not formally transferred to UF. You must make sure that the other school sends the transcript to the UF Registrar. Then if the courses do not have the same course numbers as equivalent UF courses, you must request that transfer credit be granted for each course. Sometimes this will occur because a course the student took has a course number other than that which is automatically recognized. For example, sometimes honors sections of courses are not automatically recognized. To have this fixed, see Ms. Shirley Robinson in room 226 Aerospace Building.

Q. I cannot register for a course because of the required pre-requisites. What do I do?

A. If you took the pre-requisite, but it does not show up on your degree audit, you need to see question 1 above. If you have not taken the pre-requisite and wish to have an exception made, you must request the approval of the instructor in the course.

Q. Why do I have to buy a laptop computer?

A. The Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering implemented the requirement that all students in the College must own a laptop or notebook computer. This policy became effective August 1999. The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering department has started utilizing the student supplied laptop computer in several courses (and the number is growing). We recognize that a student will have to spend $1000 or more for the laptop computer. People in the business world, including engineers, have found laptops to be invaluable tools. In much the same way that a pocket calculator has become a standard engineering tool, ready access to a computer has become a necessity for an engineer. You may be surprised to know, that when scientific calculators first became available in the mid 1970s, they cost several hundred dollars. When adjusting for inflation, this is not too different than the financial burden of the laptop.

Q. May I take courses with an S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) grade?

A. In the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering you are not allowed to use S/U courses to satisfy degree requirements. Note that any PE courses should be taken S/U (but these do not actually satisfy any degree requirements.)

Q. What classes can I use for “Technical Electives”?

A. Students in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering may take any 3000, 4000, or 5000 level course with an EML, EAS or EGM prefix that is not used to satisfy other degree requirements (with the exception listed below.) Note that for students earning a double major, Technical Electives that are used for the first degree ARE ALLOWED to be double counted for the second degree. For example, an AE student who wants to also get an ME degree would select the ASE technical electives to be required courses in the ME curriculum and would select the ME technical electives to be required courses in the AE curriculum.

On occasion, students are allowed to use courses outside the department for Technical Electives. You must contact Dr. Bruce Carroll to request approval for such a course. The general guidelines are that the course must be an engineering, physics or math course with a pre-requisite math background of Calculus 3 or higher.

Q. What is a common course substitution?

A. Certain common course substitutions have been given blanket approval as indicated below. Many of these blanket petitions are related to past curriculum revisions. Written petitions must be submitted for students to substitute a course (even for substitutions on the list below). Also, if you wish to make any course substitution that is not on the blanket petition list, you must contact Dr. Carroll to submit a written petition.

The following is a partial list of course substitutions that are NOT normally allowed:
Man’s Food or Wildlife Issues for Science Elective
BSC2005 for Science Elective
Non-technical courses for Technical Elective
Blanket Substitution List
Note that the total number of earned credit hours must add up to the required number. Slight mismatches in credit hours must be accounted for in technical electives or other course substitutions.

Required CourseSubstitute Course
CHM2046 Chemistry II BSC 2010 Biology or PHY 3101 Modern Physics
CHM2046L Chemistry II Lab1 hour credit from any course (Please note, you will need to let Shirley know which course you want to use for the substitution)
EML3520 Analytical Methods (3 hrs) EGM4313 Inter Engr Analysis (4 hrs) 
EEL3003 Elem of Electrical Engr (3 hrs)EEL3111 Circuits 1 (3 hrs) 
EEL3003/3003L Elem of Electrical Engr + Circuits Lab (4 hrs total) EEL3111C Circuits 1 with lab (4 hrs)
EEL3111 Circuits 1EEL3003 Elem of Electrical Engr 
EML4580 Bioengineering Physiology (3 hrs)PET2320C Applied Human Anatomy (4 hrs) OR PET2350C Applied Human Physiology (4 hrs) 
EAS3805C Exp. Methods 1 (3 hrs) EML3301C Instr & Measurements (2 hrs) + EML4920 Professional Orientation (1 hr)
EAS3806C Exp. Methods 2 (3 hrs)EML4xxxC Thermal Fluids Design and Lab (3 hrs) (note this is a new course that has not yet been assigned a course number)
EAS4103 Aerothermal ProcessesEML4140 Heat Transfer (3 credit version only)
EAS2001 Intro to Aerospace EngrTechnical Elective
EAS4530 Space Systems Design Technical Elective
EAS4400 Stability and Control of Aircraft (4 hr version)EAS4400 Stability and Control of Aircraft (3 hr version) + EML4315 Controls Lab (1 hr)
EGM4530 FEA for Engr MechanicsEML4500 Finite Elements Analysis and Design 
ENC2210 Technical WritingENC 3254 Speaking and Writing for Engineers

Q. What are transfer credits?

A. Students who transfer from a Community College or another 4-year institution must have their official transcript sent to the UF Registrar. Within the State of Florida a common course numbering system is used. Courses that have the same course number as the equivalent UF course will be automatically accepted for transcript credit once your transcript is received. However, if you came from a school outside of the State of Florida System or if the course had a number different from the equivalent UF course, then you must explicitly request transfer credit. To do this you must fill out the transfer credit form and bring it to Dr. Carroll in Room 222 MAE-A Building. You must also supply a photocopy of the course syllabus and/or catalog description for each course. Be sure to attach the required documentation for each course.

Q. Can Co-Ops satisfy technical elective credits?

A. Co-op and internship students may enroll in EAS/EML 4949 Co-op Work Experience during each co-op term. Up to 3 credit hours of 4949 may be used to satisfy Technical Electives in the degree program. In order to receive academic credit, students must submit the co-op registration request form to Mrs. Salena Robinson in room 226 MAE-A. You must take care of this prior to the start of your co-op term and may not add this credit retroactively.

Q. How do I request help?

A. Please visit the page Email a Question and General Information

Q. How do I receive additional assistance or information?

A. Please visit the page Email a Question and General Information