New Facility for Hypersonic Research
• New facility designed specifically for UF by experts from the Central Institute for Aviation Motors (CIAM) in Moscow, Russia.
• Non-vitiated, continuous operation, high-enthalpy facility with two major components:
• A 1.2 MW, electrically operated, first stage heater with maximum temperatures of 1300K, Mach 5 enthalpy, and,
• A second, water injection/high-enthalpy heating stage with a continuous, maximum operating temperature of 1800K, > Mach 6 flight enthalpy.
• Capability to simulate real-time transients (trajectories).
• Final commissioning completed in May 2012.
Left - Schematic diagram of the facility showing the air-supply system, heating elements, hot-air collector.
Right – Details showing the second stage, bellmouth, nozzles, isolator, test section. Lower right corner indicates fuel injection in the cavity zone.