Celebrating Black Engineer Legacies

This month we celebrate Black engineers of UF MAE and the legacies they are creating for future students and engineers of color. Follow along as we spotlight MAE engineers, their work, and their experiences.

2024

Steven J Chisolm

Graphical representation of text including image of Steven J Chisolm.

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (PhD) – Class of 2025
Quote: “Pursue excellence in everything you do”

Q&A Spotlight

Q: Are there any achievements, projects, or research that you are proud of?

A: My work developing methods to 3D print cells in a suspended structure and presenting at SEM 2023.

Q: Who inspires you and why?

A: My parents inspire me because they have been able to become truly impactful parts of their communities despite coming from humble beginnings.

Q: What is your favorite thing about engineering?

A: Being able to collaborate with others to solve problems and make scientific discoveries.

Q: What drew you in to the field of engineering?

A: The desire to learn the skills that would help me better understand the world.

Q: What are your goals in this field?

A: To become an expert in communicating engineering principals and scientific information to the masses in an easily digestible manner.

Q: What legacy will you provide to future generations of Black engineers?

A: A story of how the path from high school through the end of graduate school is not always linear, but can be done with enough support and determination.

David Woods

Graphical representation of text including image of David Woods.

Major: Mechanical Engineering – Class of 2024
Quote: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. “  -Proverbs 3:5-6|Solomon

Biography

I am a mechanical engineering student that wants to inspire the people around me. Learning is one of my favorite things to do whether it’s something simple or something complex in theory. I love meeting new people to learn from their experiences as well as share the amazing things that have been going on in my life. Over the past few years, I have grown in my spiritual walk with God to not only live out the bible in truth but help many others grow in their walk as well. If you ever see me on campus, please feel free to say hello, I would love to meet you.

Q&A Spotlight

A: Over the years, I have been presented many different opportunities professionally such as researching heat transfer at the university, interning in and out of America, all while growing immensely in my relationship with God. I have been able to travel around the world and meet new people as well as share what God has done in my life.

Q: What are your goals in this field?

A: My goal is to be an example that people are eager to follow professionally and spiritually to show that you can have both God and an inspiring career at the same time.

2022