Dr. Z. Hugh FanMAE Excellence Term Professor
Professor Fan joined UF in 2003. His research focus is to develop microfluidics and BioMEMS technologies and apply them to biomedical applications. Microfluidics involves device fabrication and manufacturing, study of fluid behavior in microscale, and exploiting the devices for a variety of applications including point-of-care testing, environmental monitoring, and detection of pathogens in the field.
Ph. D., 1994, University of Alberta
Fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, microfluidics
Microfluidics, bioMEMS (biomedical microelectromechanical systems), sensors, medical diagnostics, and bioengineering
- M. N. Le, Z. H. Fan, “Exosome Isolation Using Nanostructures and Microfluidic Devices”, Biomedical Materials, 16, 2021, 022005, DOI: 10.1088/1748-605X/abde70.
- K. Chen, P. Dopico, J. Varillas, J. Zhang, T. J. George, Z. H. Fan, “Integration of Lateral Filter Arrays with Immunoaffinity for Circulating-Tumor-Cell Isolation”, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 58, 2019, 7606–7610, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201901412.
- X. Jiang, J. C. Loeb, C. Manzanas, J. A. Lednicky, Z. H. Fan, “Valve-enabled Sample Preparation and RNA Amplification in a Coffee Mug for Zika Virus Detection”, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 57, 2018, 17211–17214, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201809993.
- J. L. Garcia-Cordero, Z. H. Fan, “Sessile droplets for chemical and biological assays”, Lab on a Chip, 17, 2017, 2150–2166, DOI: 10.1039/c7lc00366h.
- K. Ward, Z. H. Fan, “Mixing in Microfluidic Devices and Enhancement Methods”, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 25, 2015, 094001, DOI: 10.1088/0960-1317/25/9/094001.
- W. Sheng, T. Chen, W. Tan, and Z. H. Fan, “Multivalent DNA nanospheres for enhanced capture of cancer cells in microfluidic devices,” ACS Nano, 7, 2013, 7067–7076, DOI: 10.1021/nn4023747.
- K. Pitchaimani, B. C. Sapp, A. Winter, A. Gispanski, T. Nishida, Z. H. Fan, “Manufacturable Plastic Microfluidic Valves Using Thermal Actuation,” Lab on a Chip, 9, 2009, 3082–3087, DOI: 10.1039/b909742b.
- Z. Xia, R. Mei, M. Sheplak, and Z. H. Fan, “Electroosmotically-Driven Creeping Flows in a Wavy Microchannel,” Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 6, 2009, 37–52, DOI: 10.1007/s10404-008-0290-8.
- B.J. Lutz, Z. H. Fan, T. Burgdorf, B. Friedrich, “Hydrogen sensing by enzyme-catalyzed electrochemical detection”, Analytical Chemistry, 77, 2005, 4969–4975, DOI: 10.1021/ac050313i.
- K. Fredrickson, Z. H. Fan, “Macro-to-micro interfaces for microfluidic devices”, Lab on a chip, 4, 2004, 526–533, DOI: 10.1039/b410720a.