Nagaraj K. ArakereAssociate Chair (Academic Affairs) and Professor
Professor Arakere received his Ph.D. in 1988 from Arizona State University. His research interests include Damage mechanics of structural materials subjected to monotonic and fatigue loading, Fatigue life evaluation, Rolling contact fatigue, Spall propagation, Superalloys, Foams, Related constitutive and finite element model development, and Dynamics of rotor-bearing systems.
Ph.D, 1988, Arizona State University
Failure of materials in design, Fatigue, Fracture mechanics, Contact mechanics, Vibrations, Rotor dynamics
Fatigue, fracture, microstructure-sensitive design, monotonic and cyclic deformation response, Ultra-high strength bearing steels, Single crystal nickel-base superalloys, contact mechanics, fatigue spall propagation, and related constitutive and finite element model development.
- N. Londhe, N. Arakere, G. Subhash, 2019, “Effect of Plasticity on the Dynamic Capacity of Modern Bearing Steels,” Tribology International, Vol. 133, pp. 160-171.
- N. Londhe, N. Arakere, R. Haftka, 2015, “Reevaluation of Rolling Element Bearing Load-Life Equation based on Fatigue Endurance Data,” Tribology Transactions, 58, pp. 815-828, DOI: 10.1080/10402004.2015.1021943.
- M. Zhang, Z. Ning, Q. Wang, N. Arakere, Q. Zhou, Z. Wang, X. Jin, L. M. Keer, 2018, “Contact elasto-plasticity of inhomogeneous materials and a numerical method for estimating matrix yield strength of composites,” Tribology International, 127, pp. 84-95.
- N. Arakere, 2016, “Gigacycle Rolling Contact Fatigue of Bearing Steels: A Review,” International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 93, pp. 238-249.
- A. Pandkar, N. Arakere, G. Subhash, 2015, “Ratcheting-Based Microstructure-Sensitive Modeling of Cyclic Hardening Response of Case-Hardened Bearing Steels Subject to Rolling Contact Fatigue,” International Journal of Fatigue, 73, pp. 119-131.
- P.A. Sabnis, S. Forest, Nagaraj Arakere, Vladislav Yastrebov, 2013, “Crystal plasticity analysis of cylindrical indentation on a Ni-base single crystal superalloy,” The International Journal of Plasticity., 51, pp. 200-217.
- P.A. Sabnis, M. Mazière, S. Forest, Nagaraj K. Arakere, F. Ebrahimi, 2012, “Effect of secondary orientation on notch-tip plasticity in superalloy single crystals,” The International Journal of Plasticity., 28, pp. 102-123.